Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is the result of saliva glands not working properly. Causes include stress, nervousness, side effect of certain medications, smoking, or a consequence of treatment or disease. Here at Family Dental Associates, we want to help you manage underlying medical conditions causing dry mouth, increase the flow of your saliva, and prevent tooth decay from occurring.
Your dentist or doctor may consider a change if your dry mouth is the result of a health-related condition or side effect from the use of medicine. They may adjust the dosage or change your medication. If these cannot be changed, saliva flow will be focused on.
Artificial saliva products in the form of an over-the-counter rinse or spray may be recommended. Specifically formed moisturizing gels, toothpastes, or mouthwashes are also available. Ask your dentist which product is best for you.
Saliva is a natural mouth cleanser, and without it, you are more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease. Pay good attention to your dental care by brushing twice daily, flossing every day, and visiting the dentist twice a year.
There are multiple ways to lessen your condition of dry mouth including:
– Drinking water frequently. This keeps your mouth moist and washes away any food particles.
– Chew sugarless gum, sugar-free candy and popsicles to help stimulate saliva flow.
– Avoid mouthwashes containing peroxide or alcohol. These typically make your mouth drier.
– Avoid foods high in salt and sugar as well as drinks containing alcohol or caffeine.
– Quit smoking.
– To increase humidity in your home, use a humidifier at night.
To receive the best treatment for dry mouth, Family Dental Associates would be happy to assist you. Contact us at 662-453-5536 here in Greenwood, Mississippi to find the best solution for you.